Monday 28 August 2017

Weston-super-Magic: Snapshots from the Seaside

Six months ago I decided to start an Instagram account devoted to pics taken on my walks in my new seaside hometown. I've had a bit of a break recently (this summer has been very hectic!) but I've really enjoyed having a space to share these pictures, which have a totally different vibe to the bright colours of my main Instagram account.

Here are some of my faves taken since February...

The seafront has some very charming Victorian shelters, but I love this more modern one as well. All those different geometric shapes and textures coming together, with that pop of colour? Delicious!

 

There are a lot of fabulous walls in Weston; this is one of my favourites.

 

Sometimes when you stop to take photos of very "ordinary" things you get very baffled looks from passers by. A guy out walking his dog on Uphill Beach was most perplexed when I decided to photograph this!

 

"DANGER. Soft sand and deep mud. It is not possible to cross the riverbed on foot." These soft, muddy colours pop up a lot at the beach (they don't call it Weston-super-Mud for nothing). They are growing on me a lot.

 

It's not all greys and browns though - sometimes there is some actual sunshine! I went for a loooong walk along the seafront one sunny weekend in the spring, it was lovely being able to take lots of photos with that gorgeous blue sky as a backdrop but when the town was still quiet before the summer season.

 

I've not had a chance to take many photos in town yet, but I couldn't resist photographing these doors. They are fading fabulously.

 

I also love this snap of nature doing its best to overflow and burst out from the formal lines of the Victorian Grove Park. 


I am getting a teeny bit obsessed with all the texture round here. There are so many wonderfully rusting, fading, peeling and cracking surfaces (thanks to all the coastal wind and rain)...

 

... but there's also the texture of all the interesting walls around town, and the rocks at the North end of the beach. I mean, what's not to love about this?


Or these delightful pebbles and that oh-so-Instagram-able pink rock?


I also can't get enough of the wide open space of the beach. I've only been living here a few months but I practically pined for the sea when I was away this summer.


Slightly further afield, I've loved exploring the local nature reserve...


... and Uphill Village, with its magical bluebell field.


Finally, I have to include one of the photos from the wonderful sea fog! Believe it or not, I took this picture on a bright and sunny day... 


You'll find all my photos of Weston over on my Instagram account: @westonsupermagic. It's been a little while since I've updated it, but I've got lots of walks planned!

4 comments:

bairozan said...

What a magical place to live (sorry for the fogs but they are an inseparable part of magic)! Those walls - they were meant to be sculptures!

Ariadne said...

Great photos!I really like them!AriadnefromGreece!

Littlelamb said...

Thanks for the photos. Bring back memories. Have had holidays in Uphill and my daughter lived there for a while.

Bugs and Fishes said...

bairozan - the fog was really magical! I'm very glad I happened to go to the beach that day :)

Ariadne - thanks! Glad you enjoyed them :)

Littlelamb - Uphill is such a nice place, I definitely need to go there more often on my walks :)